About the program
CivVic Labs is a new startup accelerator that has been designed to bring government and startups together to solve public sector's challenges. Government departments and agencies signing up the program will be asked to define a public sector challenge that would benefit from innovative thinking and new technologies.
Startups will be selected for the program via a competitive online process. Startups will be assessed by how well their proposed solution addresses the needs of the challenge and their capacity to deliver it in collaboration with their respective government partners.
Startups admitted to the four-month program will work with the challenge owners to design and develop a prototype, supported with funding, mentors, and resources. Startups that complete the program may be procured by the challenge owner to implement the solution. All IP created by the startup during the engagement will be owned by the startup.
The Program is a joint initiative between LaunchVic and the Victorian Government Public Sector Innovation Fund which is managed by Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Process and Timeline
The CivVic Labs program is divided into a five-stage process to funding and supporting startups, the collaboration with government partners, and the implementation of the co-designed solutions. The five stages are:
Stage 1 - Challenge Definition
CivVic Labs works with a Government challenge owner to define a challenge and secure funding for the Program and for the final Implementation contract to develop and deliver a solution.
Stage 2 - Applications
CivVic Labs broadcasts the challenge to the startup community, whereby startups are encouraged to apply with proposed solutions, through an online application process.
Stage 3 - Pre-accelerator/ Exploration
Up to three startups are selected by the challenge owner to co-develop and explore the viability of their proposed solutions. Each startup receives $5,000 funding from the challenge owner.
Stage 4 - Acceleration
The startup with the most promising solution advances to the acceleration stage and receives $30,000 + in-kind resources from CivVic Labs to co-develop a high-fidelity prototype with the challenge owner.
Teams of government challenge owners and startups will be co-located and coached through the accelerator to build the capability of both parties.
Stage 5 - Implementation
Subject to the delivery of a high fidelity prototype, a contract of up to $150,000 is awarded to the startup to fully develop and deliver the solution. Contract deliverables are updated at this stage to take into account work from the exploration and acceleration phases.
Ready to get started?
Startups are encouraged to view and apply to the current challenges.
You will need to upload a 4-minute pitch video and complete an online application form. Please include in your video a little about:
- your startup,
- team members,
- a demonstration of the technology-enabled products and services you’ve created (to show us what you’re able to execute),
- market traction (if any) and
- how your proposal will address the challenge.
We’re not looking for a highly polished or flashy video, just a clear and vivid understanding of your startup, capabilities and proposal to determine who’s the best fit for the challenge.
Ultimately, your proposal will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Proposal's fitness for the challenge
- Feasibility and viability of the technology
- Market opportunity of the proposal
- Team skills and execution capacity
Benefits for startups
- Startups receive funding, resources and mentorship whilst working with their government partners to solve live public-sector challenges
- Access to government procurement contracts
- Opportunity to make an impact
- Better understand government processes
Benefits for government
- Opportunity to collaborate and create smarter technological solutions
- Work with startups in a de-risked environment
- Be involved in a transformative procurement process
- Build knowledge and skills around challenge articulation, startup engagement, and new technology-enabled solutions